Process!

When creating a concept I'll start with gathering reference around the brief idea. The environment concept that I am working on was given the brief for a sci-fi city based around Blade Runner. I gathered many images from both personal images and online to get the feel of what the environment should be and although it wasn't specifically in the brief I wanted to also design it with the context of a game in mind.

The next step I take is to start sketching ideas out on paper and/or Photoshop depending on what better supports the design, in this case both.


Once I've found a sketch that I think is working, I'll move onto creating a larger copy of it and start to explore lighting scenarios and establishing values. 


As I worked into the painting I found that it just wasn't working so I tried another lighting idea, but the main feature of the image should be the bridge and the current shot doesn't sell the concept or explore the design of the bridge as it could be seen in game.  



I went back to sketching on paper as I felt more comfortable in creating ideas and solving problems on paper. Trying out different angles and perspectives with the idea of making the bridge the main focus, I've arrived at a composition that works better then the previous ones because it takes into account a player's point of view as they would see it in-game , I started to create it within Photoshop and this is the sketch so far!


The next step is to start adding values and creating a lighting set up. 


Popular Posts